POSISI DEPARTEMEN KESEHATAN INGGRIS TERHADAP PERKEMBANGAN PERSONAL VAPORIZER
Perdebatan mengenai apakah personal vaporizer lebih aman daripada rokok konvensional masih banyak diperbincangkan. Studi-studi yang mengkaji dampak dari trend personal vaporizer masih terus bertambah.
Public Health England (PHE), salah satu executive agent dari Departemen Kesehatan di United Kingdom, dalam beberapa tahun terakhir telah mengkaji masalah dampak kesehatan dari personal vaporizer dibandingkan dengan rokok konvensional.
Kesimpulan terakhir PHE mengenai hal tersebut (Agustus 2015) antara lain :
- Personal Vaporizer lebih aman dari rokok konvensional (sekitar 95%)
- Tidak ada bukti yang menyatakan bahwa Personal Vaporizer menjadi pintu awal yang memperbanyak jumlah perokok dibawah umur atau bukan perokok.
- Hampir setengah dari populasi di UK (44,8%) tidak tahu kalau Personal Vaporizer lebih aman daripada rokok konvensional, bahkan 22,1% populasi berpikir bahwa Personal Vaporizer lebih berbahaya dari rokok
Expert Independent Evidence Review tersebut difasilitasi oleh PHE, dipimpin oleh Professor Ann McNeill (King’s College London) dan Profesor Peter Hajek (Queen Mary University of London), menyatakan bahwa Personal Vaporizer mungkin dapat berkontribusi dalam mengurangi perokok konvensional dewasa/muda. (Jurnal tersebut dapat dilihat di sumber).
Professor Kevin Fenton, Director of Health and Wellbeing di Public Health England menyatakan:
- Smoking remains England’s number one killer and the best thing a smoker can do is to quit completely, now and forever.
- E-cigarettes are not completely risk free but when compared to smoking, evidence shows they carry just a fraction of the harm. The problem is people increasingly think they are at least as harmful and this may be keeping millions of smokers from quitting. Local stop smoking services should look to support e-cigarette users in their journey to quitting completely.
Professor Ann McNeill, King’s College London, author independen, menyatakan :
- There is no evidence that e-cigarettes are undermining England’s falling smoking rates. Instead the evidence consistently finds that e-cigarettes are another tool for stopping smoking and in my view smokers should try vaping and vapers should stop smoking entirely.
- E-cigarettes could be a game changer in public health in particular by reducing the enormous health inequalities caused by smoking.
Professor Peter Hajek, Queen Mary University London author independen, menyatakan :
- My reading of the evidence is that smokers who switch to vaping remove almost all the risks smoking poses to their health. Smokers differ in their needs and I would advise them not to give up on e-cigarettes if they do not like the first one they try. It may take some experimentation with different products and e-liquids to find the right one.
Professor Linda Bauld, Cancer Research UK’s ahli dalam bidang pencegahan kanker, menyatakan :
- Fears that e-cigarettes have made smoking seem normal again or even led to people taking up tobacco smoking are not so far being realised based on the evidence assessed by this important independent review. In fact, the overall evidence points to e-cigarettes actually helping people to give up smoking tobacco.
- Free Stop Smoking Services remain the most effective way for people to quit but we recognise the potential benefits for e-cigarettes in helping large numbers of people move away from tobacco.
- Cancer Research UK is funding more research to deal with the unanswered questions around these products including the longer-term impact.
Lisa Surtees, acting director di Fresh Smoke Free North East, menyatakan :
- Despite making great strides to reduce smoking, tobacco is still our biggest killer. Our region has always kept an open mind towards using electronic cigarettes as we can see the massive potential health benefits from switching.
- All of our local NHS Stop Smoking Services now proactively welcome anyone who wants to use these devices as part of their quit attempt and increase their chance of success.